These cookies are known by several different names, such Mexican Wedding Cakes and Snowballs just to name a few. I’ve always known them as Russian Tea Cakes. These cookies are very simple to make and have just a few ingredients most people have readily available. The recipe calls for rolling them in powdered sugar twice, but I rolled mine three times for extra coating.
Russian Tea Cakes (Courtesy of Recipezaar Russian Tea Cakes)
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.
3. Stir in flour and salt.
4. Stir in nuts
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
6. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until set but not brown.
8. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; roll in powdered sugar.
9. Cool completely on wire rack.
10. Roll in powdered sugar again.