I’d wanted to make this casserole for a while but for no good reason hadn’t. We eat TONS of chips and salsa at our house, so I told my husband to save all the worthless, small bits and pieces of chips you inevitably end up with at the end of the chip bag. Once we’d saved enough, I finally made this. The picture doesn’t really do it justice since you can’t really see all the layers of goodness. My bad! This was soooo yummy, though. The leftovers were great, and this freezes nicely as well.
King Ranch Casserole (Adapted from Recipezaar)
- 2 T butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, cooked, pulled from the bone, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 c tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces) (I used nearly double this cause we like cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 325° for at least 20 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add chopped onion and bell peppers; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in chopped cooked chicken and next 5 ingredients: cook stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
4. Place half of crushed tortilla chips in bottom of pan.
5. Layer with half each of chicken mixture and shredded Cheddar cheese.
6. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
7. Bake uncovered at 325° for 45 minutes or until mixture is throughly heated.
8. Garnish if desired.