On the movie, A Christmas Story (One of my faves!), Ralphie Parker’s brother, Randy, was pissing and moaning at the dinner table about how he hated meat loaf. Well, unlike him, I like meat loaf! This meat loaf recipe is another winner from Dining in Style by Ann Lund. It was delicious! Check out the puddle of greasy goodness under it….yum!
Meat Loaf (Courtesy of Dining in Style by Ann Lund)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 c oatmeal
- 2/3 c milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 t salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 c carrot, grated
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 c ketchup
- 1/2 c water
- 4 T brown sugar
- 1/2 t onion powder (or to taste)
- 1 t dry mustard powder
1. Mix meat with oatmeal, milk, onion, salt, pepper, carrot, and cheddar cheese.
2. Form into a log and place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Mix sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the meat loaf.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Heat the remainder of the sauce and serve with the meat loaf.
One of my favorite dishes to serve with meat loaf is cheesy scalloped potatoes. The scalloped potatoes are my own creation. I had to really think about what I put into it cause it’s usually just a little of this and a little of that :).
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 – 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c flour
- 4 c milk
- 1 t onion powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Whisk in the milk and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 7 or 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in the onion powder, add salt and pepper to taste, and add the cheese. Stir until it’s melted.
3. Combine the cheese sauce with the potatoes. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden and it’s bubbly.