I made barbecue chicken today and thought this would be the perfect accompaniment. Plus, I have an overabundance of cream corn to use up because my husband accidentally bought a case of it thinking it was regular corn, and he doesn’t like it by itself. I found this recipe on Kittencal’s Kitchen. She makes some pretty great stuff, so I go to her website often for recipes. This spoon bread was really good. The recipe originally included jalapeno. I left it out as my hubby doesn’t like anything hot, but I’m sure it would be great with it.
Cheesy Corn Spoon Bread (Adapted from Kittencal’s Kitchen)
- 1/3 c butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c sour cream (one 16-ounce container)
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (14-3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8-1/2 ounce) package corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 t seasoned salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 c shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
2. In a small skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Add in onion; saute until softened (about 3-4 minutes). Add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes; set aside.
3. In a bowl beat eggs for about 2 minutes. Mix in sour cream, corn kernels and cream-style corn until blended. Using a wooden spoon stir/mix in the corn bread/muffin mix and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in onion/garlic mixture and 2 cups cheddar cheese. Season with fresh ground black pepper (use as much black pepper as you like). Transfer to casserole dish.
4. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediate sprinkle 1 cup cheddar cheese on top and allow to melt.