Earlier this year, my blogger buddy, Cassie, from Foodie with Little Thyme! (Visit her blog ASAP….she makes awesome food!) posted a recipe from a 1974 Southern Living Cookbook here. The recipe was titled “Husband’s Delight,” which cracked me up. She wasn’t too impressed by the dish due to the abundance of noodles and cheese, but her kids sure liked it! Now, I haven’t met a dish with noodles and cheese I didn’t like, so I figured I’d give the recipe a go. Although admittedly unrefined, I ended up liking it :). My husband thought it was good, too, so that makes it a winner at this house. I did change the ingredients a bit from the original by using ground turkey instead of beef, increasing the amount of shredded cheese, and using cream cheese with onions and chives.
Husband’s Delight (Courtesy of Southern Living and Foodie with Little Thyme!)
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 8 oz tub cream cheese with onions and chives, softened
- 2 c sour cream
- 3 green onions
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 t sugar
- 1 t salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 5oz packages of noodles
- 4 c shredded cheese (yes, I like cheese a little too much)
- In bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream and onions.
- Brown meat in butter. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- In 2-quart casserole dish, alternate layers of noodles, beef mixture and sour cream mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350° until brown.
I was also the recipient of the Meme Award from Cassie. Yea! Awards! Thanks, Cassie! Now, for 7 things about me…hmmm. I’m pretty boring but here goes:
- I procrastinate….a lot. I put things off until the last minute all the time. Why? Dunno. I’d make life a whole lot easier if I didn’t!
- My husband and I both have a wicked, warped sense of humor and are pretty good at finding something funny to say at all times. It’s never boring at my house.
- I’m a total klutz. I’ve had so many mishaps I’ve lost count. My husband makes fun of me about it all the time. Guess that’s one reason why I suck at organized sports.
- Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cooler weather and all the changing colors. Well, and I love Halloween. Candy corn mmmmm.
- I have natural colored red hair. I got made fun of a lot as a kid, but it’s fashionable as an adult.
- I love Snoopy and Peanuts. Guess I’m just a kid at heart. he he he
- I’m fascinated by the UK and would love to travel there someday. I love me some BBC America! And, they have some great cooking magazines and shows.