The theme for IHCC this week is the monthly Potluck. The club will be having a Potluck once a month where you can prepare any dish to “share.” I love potluck dinners. It’s so much fun to see and enjoy other people’s creations. Plus, you generally end up with some new ideas or recipes. I chose to make Nigella’s Sweet Corn Pudding. I’m a big fan of corn pudding (or spoonbread as it’s sometimes called) and have posted a favorite recipe I’ve made here. I saw Nigella’s version and thought it would be a perfect dish to bring to a potluck. The texture was almost soufflé-like….very light and sort of airy. I added just a bit of cheddar cheese, which wasn’t part of her original recipe. I thought it was really good. My husband? Not so much so. He thought it tasted too “eggy” and didn’t care for the texture. Sigh. I guess not every recipe is a winner. While I enjoyed it, it’ll probably be a while before I make it again. I ended up having to eat the majority of it myself as leftovers (which weren’t bad).🙂
- 5 eggs
- 18 ounces or 2 1/2 cups canned sweet corn, drained
- 14 ounces, or 1 3/4 cups canned creamed corn
- 1 1/3 c milk
- 1 1/3 c heavy cream
- Generous 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a glass 12 by 10-inch baking dish and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together. Using a spoon, stir in sweet corn, creamed corn, milk, cream, flour, baking powder, salt and cheese. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Cook for 1 hour until it is golden brown and slightly puffed up on the top. Serve immediately.